NHS Health Trainers
Health Trainers are employed by Northumberland Care Trust to work with individuals giving advice on personal health lifestyle choices. They are drawn from local communities and understand the day-to-day concerns and experiences of local people.
Their role is to support people to identify changes they would like to make in order to lead healthier lives. They are able to:
- Support individuals to change their lifestyle behaviours such as diet and exercise providing reviews, one to ones and follow up
- Signpost individuals to mainstream health improvement services eg. Smoking Cessation as appropriate
- Work closely with other organisations who are also supporting people in learning how to make better health choices
Health trainers connect people, making use of information available to the appropriate health service, voluntary organisation or community group.
They work in and with communities on issues such as smoking cessation, tackling obesity, improving sexual health and mental health, increasing physical activity, improving nutrition, reducing harm and encouraging sensible drinking.
What we can do:
- Advice on how to eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise regularly
- Work with you on a one-to-one basis
- Offer support
- Do a health check (BP and CO readings, weight and height)
- Help set goals
- Meet at a time and place to suit
- Refer you to other support groups
- Give information and explain it
- We can tell you about activities or classes in the local area to suit your needs
- Go with you to your first exercise class, until you feel confident to go on your own
- Measure your Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Work with groups on health issues specific to them
If there is something we can't help you with we can point you in the direction of someone who can.
What we can't do
- Offer any specialist advice
- Diagnose medical conditions
Health trainers are now working in the Seaton Valley area.
For more information or to contact a Health Trainers Dawn Morrell or Sharon Hepplewhite telephone 01670 784198 or 811972
Dawn Morrell Sharon Hepplewhite