History of the Village

The village can trace its history back to 1100, but it is likely that there was a villlage here from early times. Through the centuries it has passed through many families. But it was the coming of coal mining in 1824 that established the village. It remained a mining village until 1962 when the mine closed. Today it still retains its mining identity, through the miners institute (now the village community centre), the welfare park (home to Rugby, Football, bowls and other village activities). It has grown in size and at the last census(2001) its population was 2927.

 

*************************************************************************************

An ideal reference for this section

"SEGHILL Rings and Legends" by Liz King

published in 2002 by the People's History Ltd.

It is a full account of the village's history from early times through to today.

the book is usually available in good bookshops or contact the above on

www.thepeopleshistory.co.uk



Events Calendar

SMTWTFS
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031